Wednesday, March 16, 2005

are you ready to mariachi?

Great news, haiku fanatics -- Masters of Mariachi have been confirmed for this weekend's SXSW festivities in Austin, TX!!!

Who of What, you ask? And I, The Haiku Master, say again -- Masters of Mariachi! Don't make me tell you a third time or I'm liable to beat you senseless in an adrenaline-fueled frenzy!


Masters Of Mariachi Are A Shoo-In To Take Top Prize At SXSW This Weekend (From Left: Rudy, Paulo, Sanchez, Jesus, And The Haiku Master)

Okay, okay, I suppose I do owe you some more details. As fate would have it, my trusted Mexican agent, Paulo, isn't just a champion cockfighter -- he's also a highly skilled mariachi trumpeter! After our plans for an American cockfighting league fell through, we decided to devote our energies to putting together the rootinest, tootinest mariachi band the world has ever seen... and in just a few short days, Masters of Mariachi was formed! Or MoM, as the hepsters call us.

Besides Paulo, this mariachi superband includes guitarist Sanchez, fiddler Rudy, ukuleleist Jesus, and the one true Sultan of Syllables on lead vocals. Needless to say, each of us possesses oodles of world-class talent. But what really sets us apart from the competition is a playlist comprised exclusively of classic heavy metal covers. Can you say, "Rock on?" MoM sure can!

We never expected to have our big debut at SXSW, though -- talk about a lucky break! I'm tempted to give the credit to my newly acquired St. Matthew's Churches Prayer Rug, but that wouldn't be fair to MoM's manager, Texas Kelly. He may be addicted to Lay's potato chips, but damn if that guy can't book a show.


Masters Of Mariachi Manager Texas Kelly Always Has A Giant Bag Of Lay's Potato Chips On Hand To Feed His Addiction

Took him three days, but he finally got us a gig at a place that's sure to draw lots of crowds -- the Austin Wal-Mart! So if you live in that area, be sure to come by and see us; we'll be on a special stage in the middle of the parking lot... and we will be mari-rockin'!!

Okay for now, loyal readers -- time for this mariachi madman to hit the road! Field reports will be sporadic and unintelligible at best, but I'll be sure to give you a full accounting upon my return!

Best,

1 comment:

Tom Landry: War Hero said...

You can definitely count me in! Wild gibbering slobber beasts of Contoc 9 couldn't keep me away! I shall cruise the skies above the parking lot in my trusty PMS Arthritic Badger and incinerate those who try to leave before the rocking stops!

Until next time,

This is Captain Walrus signing off!