Monday, February 14, 2005

final hunt for the pygmy gorilla, pt. II

***
CHAPTER II


"Ladies and gentlemen, we are now making our final descent into Changi Airport."

This was the captain of the plane that was ferrying me, The Haiku Master, into Singapore, bellowing over the loudspeaker into the cramped coach section.

"At this time, we ask that you extinguish all smoking materials, fasten your seatbelts, and return your seatbacks and trays to the upright position."

Ah, Singapore. Despite its world-class slings, I never envisioned myself returning to this backwater burg... but then, I never expected to be contacted by the long-thought-dead field commander of the covert organization known only as the Adventure Team, either! And this man, Joe, had all but ordered me to report to Adventure Team headquarters, hidden deep in the jungles outside of town.

As I breezed through customs, though, I came to realize I had no clear idea as to the exact location of the AT HQ! The only other time I'd visited that fabled site was during my arduous Haiku Apprentice years, and Joe had insisted that my then-sensei, dearly departed Haiku Master Charles Bukowski, blindfold me for our journey to the base. How was I to find it now?

"Need a ride?" a coldly robotic voice asked from behind me. Whirling around in a Haikung Fu fighting stance, I found myself face-to-face with yet another blast from the past: Major Mike Power, the Amazing Atomic Man!

"Long time no see, eh Wart?" he said, thrusting his bizarre robotic right hand at me for a shake.

"Indeed, Mike," I replied. "But they don't call me Wart anymore; these days, I'm the one, true Haiku Master."


Major Mike Power, The Amazing Atomic Man, Was Good Enough To Meet The Haiku Master At Singapore's Changi Airport

"Well isn't that fancy," he said. "Maybe we should see how your much-vaunted haiku does... against my amazing atomic powers!"

"God, all this time and you still reek of insecurity!" I said. "Aren't you ever going to get over being born handicapped? Who pulls your strings, man?"

"I may have been born with disabled limbs, but having spent my entire life creating fantastic new atomic parts for my body, I've no doubt I'm more than a match for you, boy! Now grab your bags and let's go -- the commander's waiting!"

And so we went... but if Power didn't watch himself, he'd soon discover just how dangerous it was to mess with a certified Master of Haiku!

---CLICK HERE FOR 'FINAL HUNT FOR THE PYGMY GORILLA' PT. III---

No comments: